Monday, March 15, 2010

Mowin' da Lawn

As with nearly all things in life, there are pros as well as cons to having a large backyard. This week's entry is about one of the cons. Having a big lawn is great as a kid. It gives you more room to run around and chase animals and other children, more room to jump through the sprinklers and spray each other with the hose and all of those great things. If you're willing to risk hopping fences and broken windows, you can even play a game of baseball! The more space you have, the more your legs are allowed to keep up with your imagination and it's all fun and games…until someone has to mow it.

I love the smell of freshly-cut grass as much as the next guy, but I've never been a huge fan of mowing the lawn. In fact, I don't think anyone ever has been except for Forrest Gump, and that's just because he had a riding mower. Well, that might not be completely true…I thought it was terribly novel and exciting the first time I was old enough the mow the lawn. I think I even enjoyed the second time, too! By the third time, I'd had enough. But I shouldn't complain…it's a small price to pay for warm weather and greenery, right? I'll leave you to decide for yourself, but first I'll give the final word to James Dent:

"A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken."

No comments:

Post a Comment